Sunday, December 27, 2009

If only life were a Jane Austen novel

Alright.  I know that I have officially joined the hundreds of thousands of women who wish they lived in a Jane Austen novel.  And, in fact, I did not read a lot of Austen until recently, as I knew this is what would happen. However, I have read a few of her novels, and, I love them of course.  Also, it seems to me that courtship would be so much easier if life was actually played inside a Jane Austen novel. 

This is actually probably not the case, as most of the heroines seem to be confused about their relationship with said dude until said dude actually proposes, or something of the sort.  They also don't quite seem to get to know each other, and there seems to be a lot of miscommunications.  (I think I just summed up most of the Austen novels in that one sentence).  That being the case, the men were so much more ROMANTIC than they are now.  For example, who DOESN'T want to take a walk around the park arm in arm with the one you love.  And, who DOESN'T want to get special love notes, and favors from the man you love? And who DOESN'T want to take a moonlight drive in a horse drawn carriage. 

Mostly, I think it would be nice to get out of the whole "booty call" culture that we have going on.  It seems to me that most single relationships are built around sex, and, if you are lucky enough to get into a relationship, chances are it started out of sex.  At least in the small experience I have had.  Boys don't want to DATE me, but the do usually want to have sex with me.  Then, it gets really awkward, cause I have to tell them that it is not going to happen unless certain guidelines are met (hey, I have morals most of the time), then I sit and wait for about a day thinking that they are actually going to be different than all the other dudes, and text me or call me and still want to see me. 

THEN, they don't, because SURPRISE, they are not different, they really DON'T want to date a girl with three babies, they just think she is easy.  (Again, hence the title of the blog).

How much different this would be in Victorian England.  They would like, hang out with me for about six weeks, then, without really discussing anything more interesting than the weather or politics, they would randomly tell me that they loved me and ask me to marry them and live in the amazing mansion they own. 

DONE. 

So much easier.  And I am sure their marriages were very healthy as well. 

Christmas blog will come, I promise, it may just take a few days.  I am out of training for my job so *crosses fingers* I will hopefully be blogging more.  Love you my two readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment